115.437 Per pupil aid.
(1) In this section, "number of pupils enrolled" has the meaning given in s. 121.90 (1) (intro.) and includes 40 percent of the summer enrollment.
(2) Annually on the 4th Monday of March, the department shall pay to each school district an amount equal to the average of the number of pupils enrolled in the school district in the current and 2 preceding school years multiplied by $75 in the 2013-14 school year and by $150 in each school year thereafter. The department shall make the payments from the appropriation under s. 20.255 (2) (aq).
Together, parts 1 and 2 specify the same value as the three-year rolling average membership used in determining the revenue limit. On DPI's revenue limit worksheet, this is the value calculated on Line 6.
Eligibility: School districts automatically receive this aid; they do not have to submit a claim. There are no eligibility criteria for this aid program (this differs from the $50 per-pupil adjustment aid in 2012-13, which was linked to a district's levy).
Funding: Per-pupil aid is a sum-sufficient statewide appropriation in the biennial budget. The amount paid to each district is determined by a straightforward calculation and there is no proration of aid. As enacted, this program will provide $75 per pupil in 2013-14 and $150 per pupil beginning in 2014-15.
Payment Details: Per-pupil aid is paid on the fourth Monday of March. Revenues are coded to Fund 10, Source 619.
Estimating Per-Pupil Aid for 2013-14
A district can estimate the amount of per-pupil aid it expects to receive on March 24, 2014 using the revenue limit worksheet:
- Download the 2013-14 Pre-Populated Revenue Limit Worksheet (Excel workbook) here.
- Open the workbook and select your district.
- On the left side under "September & Summer FTE Membership Averages," in the "Line 6" section, enter your estimated summer and September FTE for 2013.
- Take the number on the right side calculated for Line 6 and multiply it by $75.
Final aid determinations may differ from the membership used to finalize revenue limits and levies this fall due to late changes in pupil count data. More detail on the determination of per-pupil aid will be posted when available.