The Department of Public Instruction has the statutory responsibility to prescribe financial and membership audit requirements (s.120.14, Wisconsin Statutes) for Wisconsin school districts. In fulfilling this responsibility the department cooperates closely with school district officials and the independent auditors contracted by each school district.
This page has been established as an additional means to provide relevant information concerning financial and membership auditing to interested parties. This page and associated links constitute the Wisconsin School District Audit Manual referenced by Wisconsin administrative code PI 14.03.
- Auditor Presentations Updated June, 2015
- Audit Manual Index
- Recent Auditor Updates
- Audited Financial Statements Due Dates and Late Reports
- Department of Public Instruction Audit Programs
- Membership Audits - 2014-2015 State Aid Membership Audits are due May 1, 2015.
School districts required to have a 2014-2015 state aid membership audit will be notified February 2, 2015. The Department will not release the names of districts selected for audit prior to that date.
Auditors must use the membership audit program developed by the Department. Minor changes to the program are anticipated and an updated membership audit program will be available by February 6, 2015. An auditor listserv will be sent out when the programs are finalized. The audit must include an examination of claimed summer school membership
Districts selected and other information concerning state aid membership audit requirements are available at State Aid Membership Audit Information.
Integration (Chapter 200) Audits
Districts participating in the Integration Transfer Program (ITP) "Chapter 220" are required to have an audit made of their 2014-2015 membership.
- Listing of Auditors (updated 3/24/15)
- Sample Request for Proposal
- Changes In The Accounting And Auditing Environments
Comments, suggestions and inquiries regarding the information presented here are welcomed. Please contact one of the School Financial Team Auditors located on the Staff Directory.
- Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance
- Clarified Auditing Standards
- Federal Educational Programs OMB Compliance Supplement
- Federal Audit Clearing House Including Form SF-SAC Data Collection Form
- Management Anti-Fraud Programs and Controls
- Governmental Accounting Standards Board
- Government Auditing Standards, 2011 Yellow Book
- Wisconsin State Single Audit Guidelines