Wisconsin public school districts are required to undertake a 3rd Friday in September and 2nd Friday in January pupil count and report them to the Department of Public Instruction. The pupil count report is an internet based report, accessed via the School Finance Reporting Portal.
If your district is unable to hold school on the scheduled count date, a request for an alternative pupil count date must be submitted to the State Superintendent (s. 121.05(3), Wis. Stats.). Address your request to School Financial Services Team, by e-mail at email@example.com . Please specify the alternative date that you are requesting. In most circumstances, the date should be either the Thursday before or the Monday after the Friday count date.
- Reconciliation of Pupil Counts 13-14
- Reconciliation of Pupil Counts 12-13
- Reconciliation of Pupil Counts 11-12
- Reconciliation of Pupil Counts 10-11
- Reconciliation of Pupil Counts 09-10
- Reconciliation of Pupil Counts 08-09
- Reconciliation of Pupil Counts 07-08
- Sample Reconciliation of Pupil Counts 06-07
- September/January Pupil Count Reconciliation Webcast
- Clarification Regarding Residency: Constitutional Requirements, Compulsory Attendance and Fiscal Implications For Students Living Away From Their Parents.
- For questions about Sections I and II, including FAPE and compulsory attendance requirements, contact the Special Education Team, (608) 266-1781.
- For questions about Section III Fiscal Implications, contact the School Finance Team at (608) 267-9114.
Help and Tutorials:
- To assist districts in accurately completing the report, the School Financial Services team has developed a PI1563 workbook that districts are encouraged to complete prior to entering the internet based reporting program.
- General Count Instructions for the PI 1563 Workbook
- PI 1563 Pupil Count Report Workbook Form For Draft Use
- Counting Students Who are 20 and 21
- Counting Students Who are Receiving Non-Traditional Education