Wisconsin public school districts are required to count pupils for membership purposes on the 3rd Friday in September and 2nd Friday in January and report the data to the Department of Public Instruction. The PI-1563, an internet-based application accessed via the School Finance Reporting Portal, is used to collect the information.
Alternate Count Date
If your district is unable to hold school on the scheduled count date, a request for an alternative pupil count date must be submitted to the State Superintendent (s. 121.05(3), Wis. Stats.). Address your request to School Financial Services Team, by e-mail at email@example.com . Please specify the alternative date that you are requesting. In most circumstances, the date should be either the Thursday before or the Monday after the Friday count date.
Clarification Regarding Residency: Constitutional Requirements, Compulsory Attendance and Fiscal Implications For Students Living Away From Their Parents.
For questions about Sections I and II, including FAPE and compulsory attendance requirements, contact the Special Education Team, (608) 266-1781.
For questions about Section III Fiscal Implications, contact the School Finance Team at (608) 267-9114.
Guidelines for Counting
To assist districts in accurately completing the pupil count report, the School Financial Services team has developed guidance on counting pupils. The PI 1563 Pupil Count Report Workbook Form is structured similarly to the internet based reporting program, and it is recommended that new users review this spreadsheet prior to entering the portal application.
- General Count Instructions for the PI 1563
- Pupil Count PI-1563 Program Definitions
- PI 1563 Pupil Count Report Workbook Form (For Draft Use)
- Counting Students Who are 20 and 21
- Counting Students Who are Receiving Non-Traditional Education
- Counting Part Time Students
- NEW September, 2014 Workbook for Reporting Non-Resident Part Time Home-Schooled Pupils
- PI 1563 Pupil Count Report Amendment Instructions
- Converting Count to FTE
- Summer School Membership Information
- Membership Workshop Power Point Presentation
- Longitudinal Data - Equalization Aid Membership
Reconciliation of Pupil Counts
All districts are required to explain (reconcile) membership changes that occur between the September and January counts. The process involves identifying and documenting the specific membership additions and subtractions that have happened in each category (ex. 4YK - 524.5 hours) between the 2 count dates. The completed reconciliation is to be kept on file at the district office and available for DPI and your independent auditor upon request. Supporting documentation should also be kept on file and available upon request.
Use the following Excel files to complete the reconciliation.
- Reconciliation of Pupil Counts 13-14
- Reconciliation of Pupil Counts 12-13
- Reconciliation of Pupil Counts 11-12
- Reconciliation of Pupil Counts 10-11
- Reconciliation of Pupil Counts 09-10
- Reconciliation of Pupil Counts 08-09
- Reconciliation of Pupil Counts 07-08
- Sample Reconciliation of Pupil Counts 06-07