The PI 1563 Pupil Count Portals for 2016-16 are open. The 2014-15 membership reports are closed.
Overview and Contact
Wisconsin public school districts are required to count pupils for membership purposes on the 3rd Friday in September and 2nd Friday in January and report the data to the Department of Public Instruction. The PI-1563, an internet-based application accessed via the School Finance Reporting Portal, is used to collect the information.
Districts that need to amend their pupil count after required membership audits are announced will do so by one of two ways:
- If your district has a membership audit, simply go into the reporting portal and make the changes. The auditor will verify any changes upon completion of the audit.
- If your district does not have a membership audit, send an email to Debra.Towns@dpi.wi.gov requesting the SFS team to open the portal along with an explanation of the changes that will be made. The district will then be advised via an email response when the portal will be open for revisions.
Contact Debra Towns, Assistant Director, at (608) 267-9209 should you have questions.
Alternate Count Date
If your district is unable to hold school on the scheduled count date, a request for an alternative pupil count date must be submitted to the State Superintendent (s. 121.05(3), Wis. Stats.). Address your request to the School Financial Services Team by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please specify the alternative date that you are requesting. In most circumstances, the date should be either the Thursday before or the Monday after the Friday count date.
Clarification Regarding Residency: Constitutional Requirements, Compulsory Attendance and Fiscal Implications For Students Living Away From Their Parents.
For questions about Sections I and II, including FAPE and compulsory attendance requirements, contact the Special Education Team at (608) 266-1781.
For questions about Section III Fiscal Implications, contact the School Finance Team at (608) 267-9114.
Guidelines for Counting
To assist districts in accurately completing the pupil count report, the School Financial Services team has developed guidance on counting pupils. The PI 1563 Pupil Count Report Workbook Form is structured similarly to the internet based reporting program, and it is recommended that new users review this spreadsheet prior to entering the portal application.
- General Count Instructions for the PI 1563
- Pupil Count PI-1563 Program Definitions
- PI 1563 Pupil Count Report Workbook Form (For Draft Use)
- Counting Students Who are 20 and 21
- Counting Students Who are Receiving Non-Traditional Education
- Counting Part Time Students - Instructions
- September, 2015 Workbook for Reporting Non-Resident Part Time Home-Schooled Pupils
Reconciliation of Pupil Counts
All districts are required to explain (reconcile) membership changes that occur between the September and January counts. The process involves identifying and documenting the specific membership additions and subtractions that have happened in each category (ex. 4YK - 524.5 hours) between the 2 count dates. The completed reconciliation is to be kept on file at the district office and available for DPI and your independent auditor upon request. Supporting documentation should also be kept on file and available upon request.
Use the following Excel files to complete the reconciliation. Remember that the January PI-1563 Membership Report has to be submitted for January data to appear in this spreadsheet.