School districts, CESAs, CCDEBs, and non-district (2r) charter schools report their special education expenses to DPI with two reports: the PI-1504-SE budget report details proposed expenses for the current school year, and the PI-1505-SE annual report details actual expenses for the previous school year. Only fund 27 special education expenses (with a few limited exceptions, see instructions for details) are included. These reports are used to determine the amount of state special education categorical aid.
- Instructions for Completing the Special Education Budget and Annual Report
- Frequently Asked Questions for Completing the Special Education Budget and Annual Reports
- PI-1505-SE Edit Resolution
- GPO and GPI Corrections Powerpoint
- Printing the Special Education Annual and Budget Financial Data Reports
- Act 221 Addendum Worksheets
2r Charter Schools
2r charter schools report their special education costs through the same online PI-1504/05-SE reports as school districts. Because they are now eligible for Pupil Transportation Aid, their access to the reports will be through the SAFR portal. 2r charter schools can manage report users through the PI-1500.
- 2r and Non-Instrumentality Charter Licensing and Cost Worksheet (optional for 2014-15 reporting)
2r charter schools are subject to the same manual audit program modification as districts, put into place due to ongoing challenges with ELO and staff reporting. The worksheet will be optional this year, but operators should be prepared to provide a completed worksheet or similar documentation upon request as part of the PI-1505-SE review process.
Non-Instrumentality Charter Schools
Non-instrumentality charter schools have special education expenses reported by their contracting districts. An Excel claim form is available for these schools to use in developing their expense submissions to districts: